Friday, August 26, 2011

Chemo - Day 3, Second Round

Today was the last chemo treatment for this round. It went about the same as it did last time. Friday seems to be his worst day as far as being sick. This morning he was sick six times and we finally made it to hospital to get his shot. I told them how sick he had been and they took him up to the hospital and gave him an IV for his dehydration and medicine to help him sleep through the sickness. It took awhile but he is sleeping peacefully at home now and even ate a sandwich. He will probably sleep most of the day away tomorrow and a little less on Sunday and start feeling better by Monday. He looks much better now since having the IV. I think we have a routine down now and know what to expect the next time and they have given him more medicine that he can take at home so hopefully he won’t have to do this again. All of the medicines do scare me a bit. This one could cause heart damage, this one could cause lung damage, this one could cause permanent mouth ticks. It’s all pretty scary at times. The bad thing with chemo is that it kills your good cells as well as your bad cells. I wish that there was a better way to treat cancer and I pray for a new way of treating cancer that doesn’t seem so barbaric. I’m glad that we have chemo but at times it does seem crazy that we still treat cancer the same way as we did many years ago.

I always wonder what in the world am I going to post about that doesn’t seem like I’m rambling on, or I worry that I am boring people to death with this blog. Somehow a new experience will come to us or something happens that I feel like I need to talk about. Sometimes I will stay up late at night because I am writing a post in my head and thinking about what I want to say. One thing that David and I have come to the conclusion is that we need to be better about comforting people when they are going through difficult times. Normally we have no idea what to say and generally don’t say much at all. I always think that I am intruding and I don’t want to make that person sad by brining it up. I notice people look at us with the saddest expressions. I know I would do the same thing when I knew someone had been through traumatic experiences and I had no idea what to say to them. Don’t worry…I’ve been in your shoes and I never know what to say. It doesn’t offend me and I know that you are just like me and at a loss and don’t know what to say. New experiences give you new perspectives on life and how you handle situations. I know now that people do appreciate the kind words and if you don’t say anything, I still know that you care and are thinking about us. I realize with people looking at us they are wondering what we are going through and if we are ok. I realize that this is a challenge and we have the opportunity to show that we know God is in control. Not to say that we don’t have our weak moments but ultimately we know that we aren’t in control and God will bring us through this.

Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, “says the Lord. “They are plans for good not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

No pictures today. David is visiting with his sister who is here from California and I pushed the camera off on him. He wasn’t too happy about being on camera duty again but he took it. I will post pictures later for David’s family in California. I didn’t get pictures of Dakota at the hospital for the past two days. I thought those pictures were getting a little old and you have all seen him sitting at the doctors office. I need something new to take pictures of. David will be on duty next time. Glad that I have a spouse who takes such good care of us and that I have a partner that shares the responsibility. I think he’s probably a better nurse than I am. Thanks for keeping up with us and for following along on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment