Saturday, September 3, 2011

Happy Labor Day week-end!  We are looking forward to going to Tuskahoma on Sunday to see the band Third Day.  I know Dakota is bored sitting around the house all the time but I am glad that he is getting to take this time to rest and get better.  He did seem to take a little longer to recover from chemo this time around.  I’m thinking that it may be a little tougher to come back each time as your body is getting weaker.  Treatment will start on Tuesday of next week and go thru Thursday.  Dakota will see his doctor first and then go to his treatment on Tuesday. 

Last Sunday morning Dakota calls me to the bathroom and is standing at the door dripping on the floor with the shower going, “Mom, my hair is falling out.  Every time I run my hands through my hair I have hair all over my hands.”  Dakota decided to be proactive and shave his head.  We were told that his head would be sore as his hair follicles are dying and his head was a little sensitive this last week.  I did get to take pictures of David shaving his head last Sunday.  Not sure if all of his hair will fall out but it looks like it’s still growing so he may have jumped the gun a little bit. 

Before picture



David having a little fun with Dakota’s hair.





Dakota wanted to take a picture with Paige.  She didn’t want to take pictures, it was late at night, she didn’t have on make-up and her hair was a mess.  Of course bald trumps no make-up and bad hair so she took the picture. 




David and Dakota together with their bald heads.  This could be something that Dakota needs to get used to since most Miles men are bald.  He’s still holding out with the hope that he will take after the Watkins side of the family and get to keep his hair. 



We like to make jokes about cancer and have fun with it.  We tend to not take anything too seriously around our house and pretty much anything is open for jokes.  We have let Dakota live the good life around our house and he does a lot of sitting around and doing nothing.  He has really taken advantage of it and doesn’t clean his dishes or laundry.  He has cleaned the house once and the bathroom once.  We have given the kids chores since they were little so this is a big thing to get to sit around and do nothing all the time.  Here is a conversation between our family:

Me:  Dakota would you please cut up some tomatoes and lettuce for me?
Dakota:  (very pathetic with a big sigh) I don’t feel like it but I’ll tell Dad that you need help.
Me:  Seriously Dakota, you can’t cut up some veggies?

Dakota then goes and tells his dad that mom needs help.

David:  What do you need help with?
Me:  (laughing)  I asked Dakota to cut up tomatoes and lettuce.  I think he can handle that. 
Me to Dakota: (still laughing)  Ahhh, the life of a cancer patient.  I think you can sit down in that chair and cut up tomatoes and lettuce.

He did cut up the lettuce and tomatoes with lots of sighing.  He was pretty wore out from the 5 minutes that it took to cut them up.   I thought the whole thing was funny.  Maybe didn’t come off as funny as it was but we’re funny…really.  Maybe we’re just funny to us and not to everyone else.  I think you have to have a pretty dry sense of humor to get us but trust me we are funny.  But seriously, he has been very tired this week but is feeling a lot better now.   

Wednesday the children at church all wore their “Pray for Dakota” bracelets and prayed for him.  Here are a few pictures from Ms. Trinity.  We are so touched to see children praying so fervently for their brother in Christ. Too sweet for words!  Thank you Ms. Trinity and Ms. Susie for thinking of it. Of course, thank you to Erin and Nachole for making the bracelets.  Love you guys!






Last week I mentioned that David’s sister was visiting from California.  I sent David off with the camera while I stayed home with Dakota.  I was really wanting pictures of all of the siblings together but David did something that I would do and left himself completely out of the pictures.  Luckily I took some pictures on Thursday with David in the pictures. 

David's sister Dayna with her husband Francesco





I have more pictures to post with David's brother, Darrin and his family but my computer isn't cooperating right now so will have to post them later. 


I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend. 


James 1:2-4
Dear brother and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when you endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment