Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chemo - Round 6

I haven’t posted in awhile because there wasn’t much to tell. Dakota is on his second day of round six. The next PET scan will be in December. Not sure when they will do the next bone marrow test. The doctor seems satisfied with Dakota’s progress and everything still looks good. The biggest problem that he is having now is a little bit of panic attacks when he goes to get his chemo. He starts shaking and has even been sick just going in the room. When we walk in he smells the room and instantly feels sick. I smell nothing but of course I’m not taking the medicine. He tastes and smells the medicine so it’s not a pleasant experience for him. Today they gave him a prescription for an anti-anxiety pill. Hopefully that will help him chill out a little. The chemo changes his tastes and there are things that just don‘t taste the same. One of which is soda, but I don’t consider that a big loss. He eats pickles now and that wasn’t something he ate regularly before. The medicine also makes the skin in his mouth peel, but that isn’t a big deal just a little annoying. The doctors are also giving him steroids which makes him very cranky. We have learned to just let him sleep and not bother him too much for about five days. He loses a few more eyelashes and eyebrows every time he takes chemo but he still has a little left. He thought losing all his hair was going to be cool since he used to shave his body. Don’t ask me…something about man-scaping. He has decided that it’s not so cool when you don’t have a choice. Maybe he will be a hairy bear once all his hair grows back. He said he may even try a beard. It’s amazing what you appreciate when you no longer have it. He has been very blessed that he hasn’t had a cold or anything. We are very fortunate that none of us get sick very often so hopefully we will make it through the cold and flu season without any sickness.

A few weeks ago I read all my posts on the blog and was amazed at the things I had already forgotten about, so I’m really glad that I’m writing it all down. Maybe someone who is going through this in the future will be able to read this and have an idea of what will happen each time. I know it was nice to talk to someone who is taking chemo with Dakota, that is on the same medicine and we compared notes.

I do know that we are all ready for this to be over and get back to a normal life. Right now Dakota is very tired of being sick and tired. He wants to feel normal and live a normal life. He feels like he looks very strange and is feeling a little insecure about how he looks. Of course, I still think he looks handsome but I’m a little biased. I thought it would be strange when he lost all of his hair, and it would make me sad to see him. All I see when I look at him is how proud I am of him and I don’t feel sadness. I would imagine that a lot of that is from all the prayers that we have received. I know we couldn’t do any of this without your prayers and God’s grace.

I am always touched at how many people are praying for us. Many churches are praying for Dakota and they don’t even know us. Last week a friend of mine from work brought me a quilt that his sister’s church had made for Dakota. Emmaus Baptist Church in Oklahoma City has a Prayer Quilt Ministry. This was written on the brochure that we received with the quilt. “The prayer quilt is a lap-sized cover, hand-tied with square knots. As each knot is tied, a prayer is offered for the person who will receive the quilt. When fully tied, the quilt is given as a gift of love and prayer. Each prayer quilt is a statement of our faith in God and our belief in His power to comfort, encourage, strengthen and heal.” What a beautiful ministry this church has and we are very honored and touched that you thought of us. Thank you!




The school also had a Power Puff football game that was put on by FCCLA and Keri Laxton. The officers in FCCLA and Keri decided to give the proceeds to Dakota to help with the medical bills. We are so very touched by your kindness and want to thank each and every person that helped with this. I know Dakota has been overwhelmed with how kind and generous everyone has been. Keri Laxton, you are a class act and we appreciate you.

Many people have been very kind and send encouraging notes, texts, emails, cookies, presents. It would take me forever to list all of them and I’m sure I would forget someone along the way. Just know that your kindness is never taken for granted and we appreciate and love all of you.

Dakota at chemo with his quilt.  He has learned to sleep through chemo.
 Paige is on fall break and went with us to chemo
 She shared his blanket.  It's cold in there!
This scripture was on the brochure from the church that made Dakota’s quilt and I thought I would share it with you.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” 2 Corinthians 1.3-5

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment